Saturday, January 19, 2013

Separation

Separation

As most of you know, I have announced my retirement from General Motors. I have been working for this place in all of it's many forms for over 31 years now as an engineer, and many more with various companies and firms. I specialized in Electrical Machine Controls. I made machines move, function, work. Much easier than making people do the same thing. It's been a fun career. I see my creations all over this place, and also in some products on the market. Mostly fuel and emissions systems, but also copiers, blood analyzers, waste treatment plants, the Buffalo transit system, A nuclear power plant, and the etch-a-sketch.  I really enjoyed the work, and gave it a full (some disagree) one hundred percent, right up until about... NOW.


Weeks ago I emailed my retirement announcement. Sending it as an email makes it very official, gives me a record, and takes away all the emotional response of a one on one with your boss. My super is a good guy, and I knew he would be shocked and upset. He was, but at least with an email he had time to think before he spoke, and all is well now. He still thinks I'm screwing him over, but he's OK with it.


Some of the folks I work with find it hard to believe I would leave all this splendor, all this magic that is General Motors. Shocked they are. I am not sure why I took everyone by surprise. Really? There could not have been more clues. We sold our house, got rid of all of our stuff, moved into an apartment and boat, and moved the boat south. Hello! Besides the obvious, I also cleaned out my office of all personal items. I also replaced the Lake Ontario chart on my office wall with a water color painting of a beach with palm trees.




One person figured it out and she kept it to herself, and I'm very proud of her. So, when the announcement came there were many jaw dropped faces, some smiling ones, and some worried. Everyone seemed happy for me, and I've been shaking many hands. So many in fact, that it feels a little sore today.


I'm still smiling, possibly a little sad, but looking forward to the new adventure, and finally getting back together with Debra who is waiting patiently for my arrival. I will miss many people at GM and Delphi. Most of them I will never see again, and some I hope I will see again some day. They were a big part of my life for over thirty years, but now it is time to move on.

For the moment, I'm a little dazed by it all, but I know it will all be better soon. Palm trees and Deb await. OK, Deb and palm trees.  :)

Going to listen to some Harry Chapin, and think about things, while I pack up my belongings.

8 comments:

  1. I have spent more than 40 years as a pilot, it is a big part of how I see my place in the world. Walking away from it to live on a boat is a bit scary, though I think Deb worries about it a little more than I do. Other people have made the jump and are glad that they did. I am looking forward to it myself, though I am at least several months behind you ... and quite jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "anonymous" is actually TJ from Kintala ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ, time will fly by incredibly quick and you'll find yourself wondering what the hell just happened. At the end of it all, on the last day, it was scary. Now that I'm staring at the work ahead of me before the trip south on Wednesday, I am starting to snap out of it. The temps up here are dropping into the teens, so that should inspire me to get the hell out of here.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! With any luck I'm not too far behind ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be here before you know it. Stay on course.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's great! With all of your preparations, isn't it amazing that people were taken by surprise? I mean, if you've been there for 31 years, why WOULDN'T you retire? I guess people see what they want to see. Sounds like you had a long a fruitful career. And now... to the sun and sail! Fair winds to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I can't wait to know how it feels to be "retired"! Funny how people react differently to the news, especially the ones that think you're crazy.

    Sounds like 2013 is gonna be a great one for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people think we've gone over the deep end, but they just don't understand. Does anyone who doesn't sail understand?
      Not sure I feel retired yet. Kind of feel like I'm on vacation. I'm sure the part time job hunt will start soon. Thanks for the good wishes. It does feel good to be out of the cold :)

      Best of luck to you in selling the house, and we hope to see you out there soon.

      Delete