Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Itching to get this done.

Still no internet service that qualifies as useful. Maybe Thursday. So, I have to update from my office, which is not really a good idea, but hey, I don't smoke, so I'm not standing outside every half hour taking a break. Amazing how my boss will give me an evil look when I'm shooting the shit with office mates about last nights hockey game, but the guy sits outside smoking for approximately 2 hours of every day.

I have been trying to remove some stanchions from the deck for the last 2 weeks, and finally got around to it. Holy crap they are hard to get at! I have to cut a hole in the headliner to get at the nuts, but one of them I had to cut through a cabinet top, to get at the headliner, which had to be cutout to get to the nuts. I had to sit in the cabinet, and contort my body to get the saw blade in the right spot. I used an oscillating tool to cut the cabinet top, and it was taking forever. Morgan yachts decided to tab the hull to the top of this cabinet, besides tabbing to the bulkhead. I was cutting through glass and epoxy, and the tool was burning the stuff. What a smell, and what an itch that developed as the glass got everywhere. Cutting the headliner was horrible, and I nicked some of the bolts with the tool. I hope I don't have to cut the nuts off, as that would suck big time. There is little room to maneuver.






This pic will not get me any skilled trade work. The only tool I had that would reach was a hole saw. I had to drill some probing holes to see what the hell was in there. Maybe a job as a butcher? At least it's inside the cabinet.


In case you were wondering, my Dremel tool extension was missing the chuck.
A friend of mine knows a guy with a TIG welder who does stainless. Will cost me a couple cases of beer to get these stanchions welded. Sweet.

Refrigeration is taking longer than I thought, and we're both getting tired of digging through ice to get something out of the cooler. I probably could have bought a dorm fridge, for what I've paid in ice so far. You can engineer a system all you want, but when it comes time to place the equipment, and run the pipe, reality takes hold, and you change on the fly. The problem with doing this on a boat is that the hardware store is 35 miles away, and the proper tools are scattered between the van, apartment, storage and Lowe's.

I'm still itchy from the fiberglass rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment